.

.
HOME               ABOUT               STEALS               FAVORITES               CONTACT

April 15, 2013

no-fail color palettes for dress or decor

Fact: I'm not very clever at pulling innovative color palettes out of thin air. The place I get more color inspiration than anywhere else? J. Crew.

I love their clothes, but it's the styling that's truly genius. Whenever I'm in the store, I take pictures of the mannequins, displays, product styling... sometimes even covert ones of the employees or other shoppers. Creepy, but true.

I've noticed a commonality among many of their good color palettes:
any two colors + a mixture or a shift.


Here's what I mean by a mixture:
Color 1 + Color 2 + the color in between.


And here's what I mean by a shift:
Color 1 + Color 2 + a tint (add white) or shade (add black) on either color.


Two colors alone looks fine, but adding that third color tones it down (and makes you look like a styling genius). 

Do you have a fancy trick for picking colors?

 online interior design, edesign, e-design, online interior designer, raleigh interior design, interior decorating, decorating blog, digital design board, decorating mood board, color tricks, color palettes, color matching, decorating colors

2 comments:

Anne {Almost Home} said...

Really interesting post! Of course I love J.Crew too. I hadn't thought of how they mix their colors like that, but you are so right!

Karen Albert said...

Very smart styling and design trick!
Love it!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena